A personal account of my dealings with progressive multiple sclerosis. And my battle with trigeminal neuralgia and the brain surgery that stopped the pain!

Friday, October 9, 2009

Weakness or Fearlessness?



You know some how we're conditioned that to use a crutch is a sign of weakness?

But Tommy has been encouraging me to use the cane more often as he knows I hesitate to do things with the family that will require much walking, especially in the dark.

In stores I always grab the cart because it gives me the security I desire along with something to lean on.

But yesterday when we went to the Fall Festival and I took the cane (it is a special cain as it was not only my Father's but his Father's before that)

I was amazed how much more secure I felt walking in the crowded street at the fall festival.

I've decided that a cane is something to be thankful for. Now maybe I'll have an artist friend (Robin.. Robin) paint something pretty on it because it is just plain wood.

So if you see me with a cane... just know that I am choosing to add stability and fearlessness to my life.

Maybe I'll encourage someone else that using a cane is not a bad thing but an added help... and maybe life can be enjoyed more w/o being worried about missing a step all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! And now you'll have something handy to whack people with if you ever need to :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece who is 32 has had to reconcile herself with her cane. The stability it gives her, and less pain from falling makes it a lot more appealing! Hope you get happy colors on your cane, and you are feeling better this week. My prayers are with you and yours as always.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive